Saturday, March 26, 2011

              "My Connections to Play."

Quotes that I feel summarize what play represented for me in childhood.

“It is paradoxical that many educators and parents still differentiate between a time for learning and a time for play without seeing the vital connection between them.”
~ Leo Buscaglia (author, educator)

“Play is the highest form of research.”
 ~ Albert Einstein (scientist)

“Play gives children a chance to practice what they are learning…They have to play with what they know to be true in order to find out more, and then they can use what they learn in new forms of play.” ~
Fred Rogers (Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood)

“It is becoming increasingly clear through research on the brain, as well as in other areas of study, that childhood need play. Play acts as a forward feed mechanism into courageous, creative, rigorous thinking in adulthood.” ~
Tina Bruce (Professor, London Metropolitan University)

 Pictures of essential play items for my younger self.
                                   

Children playing a game of Cricket.
                                                

Running in the rice field






Swinging time in the fields.

How people supported play when I was younger and/or the role of play in my childhood.

When listening to the children talking about their electronic and technological toys that they play with, I feel that I was lucky to be in a developing country. I did not play with electronic or technological toys. I played with my sister, cousins and neighborhood children in the outdoors. Those were the days full of adventure and care free childhood. Looking at the children of today I feel sorry for them missing out on outdoor opportunities. Including my own, today’s children do not enjoy outdoors as I used to be at their age. I am still an outdoor person in my own way.  In the tropical island where I grew up, everyday was great temperature for out door expeditions. In the fields playing Cricket with boys or playing House with girls or going on an adventure through the rice fields with everyone; it was an everyday, after-homework event in my life.

I thank the adults of my younger days who believed in play. We had a curfew.  We used to check the shadow or surroundings to figure out the time, to return home. We knew well enough to not to break the curfew as the consequence was missing the fun the next day. At that time there was no fear of stranger danger. Everyone knew each other and everyone took care of each other’s children. “It takes a village to raise a child” (African proverb) was a practical matter in those days. The best hands-on learning of what we learned in school took place while we played. For me children learn through play was proven through my generation. It was not just hands on experience; it was life lessons and experiences as well.


My thoughts regarding the role of play throughout my life and the role of play throughout childhood and adulthood.
Looking back at my younger days, I truly believe that my parents and the adults in my life had expectations, dreams and hopes for their next generation but they were much more practical ones. They spent much more time with their next generation and tried their best to give them hands-on experiences on life. Technology was not advanced or easily accessible and that was a blessing in disguise for me. Raising children in the United States, I feel that my own children are missing on major life skills that gained through play. But at the same time when visiting back home I feel that my own nieces and nephews are missing on the same. For me the reason behind is the invasion of the technology that changed the world for better and for worst. With the world becoming a global village, east met the west through television; east fell in love with the ways of west without making any conscious decisions.

Today’s grown ups are adapting to the overwhelmingly busy lifestyles and spending money on materials without a conclusion. For me what matters the most for the children is not the presents, but the family being present for them. I do not believe that we have to go back to the Stone Age, but I wish there is a way for all of us to live life with “moderation” as the motto.
 Children having the opportunity to be outdoors with their families and friends ,and the schools having high expectations but still believing in the importance of age appropriate materials and value of play in young lives would be the best situations in my world. And most of all I believe that  we would be more compassionate towards each other than being competitive against each other. Technology has to be a tool to make life better but not the vehicle that take the humans away from precious human interactions.
My hope for the young with regards to play is giving them back what we have  taken away from them due to the over accelerated educational goals. Giving back the much needed love and care for the children of the global village and letting them grow up to be compassionate with each other with much more human interactions than the various machines that they have in their lives. Parents, educators, decision makers, policy makers and researchers working together and having a better understanding of what is age appropriate practice and why is it matter, and how to practice it through play and fun will be the way to go .             





2 comments:

  1. Venuri,
    Your pictures remind me of home especially the one where the children playing cricket. It is amazing that we can share similar experiences in play as children. For one thing we know there are cultural differences however we do share something in common based on our culture- Cricket.
    Children outdoor play is vital as we know and if the only time children are allowed or given the opportunity for outdoor is through completion, then it becomes useless for the children. Children do not care who wins or loses but the parents make it something different to satisfy their own ego. Therefore they push their kids in organized play. Where is the fun in all of this? Children need to play to satisfy their childhood instincts. Parents as well as policy makers who provide opportunities for only structured and competitive play should look closely to what the theorists say. I bet they would have a change of heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Venuri,
    Your pictures are a true reflection of what outdoor play “used to be.” I say “used to be” guardedly because even in my neighborhood today, I do not see children going in the "bush” or "field” to play. Children today send a great deal of time indoors behind their computers, iPods and the likes. When we observe some to the indiscriminate acts that are occurring around the world, we are aware that some of these individuals were not really immersed in great outdoor play. Too much aggression is evident. Outdoor play allows persons to release pent up energy, thus making individuals socially and emotionally stable so they will be able to cope effectively with situations.

    ReplyDelete