Saturday, January 8, 2011

My Childbith Experience in Sri Lanka



I am going to write about my own experience that took place in Sri Lanka 15 years ago (an island nation in Indian Ocean). My husband and I were married for 2 years at that time, we were ready to be parents. It was the most exciting news ever. My husband and I were two college graduates working in two different areas of Sri Lanka. We got home in the middle of the week and then for the week end. This is typical of Sri Lanka for the first few years of a teacher’s life.  It was a must to serve in the rural parts of the country after the teachers graduated. When we found out that I was pregnant no one wanted me to go back to the school where I was, as I was there alone. But I was confident enough to believe they will take care of me as my husband, my side of the family and his side of the family and everyone else. . All of a sudden I was in the center of the attention.  I continued working and went to a Doctor in my town every month; I got to go to the free clinic in my school area as they wanted me to come there so badly. I never needed medicines or vitamins but they checked my blood pressure, baby’s growth and weight gain, blood work and all.  Children always brought me all kinds of fresh vegetables and fruits that they could find in their gardens. Staff members fed me like I was some kind of a starving child. Always everyone has to remind” You have to eat for two”. When I was with family, it was the same. I never had any complications. One morning of morning sickness and that was it. I ate, worked, walked a lot, and life went on.  It was all the love and care that kept the pregnant woman and the baby well taken care of. Lots of involvement with the religious base as well. It was not about praying for what I wanted but it was more of keeping mind calm and peaceful. It was a good way to keep stress levels to the minimum.
I paid the price of my no complication pregnancy, at the child birth moment. My doctors warned about the possibility of a C-section due to my smaller hip structure. But they wanted to give me the experience of a natural birth first. I had pains for hours; I was in the labor room for hours. My cousin who was a final year medical student at the time was my messenger between my husband, family members and myself.  Husband or any other family was not allowed in the labor room unless otherwise they had something to do with the child birth. After a long ordeal they decided to go for the C- section.  I was one exhausted human being by then.
Out of wedlock babies are like a taboo in my native land. Alcohols, drugs, smoking are not common among women at all. Every woman follows the old wise rules:  no acidic foods, no too much of shell fish, and no caffeine and list goes on. Delivering babies at home is a thing of the past, even in rural areas clinics and midwifes take care of the pregnant women and the baby and when it is time for the baby’s arrival it happens at a hospital. If any more care is needed beyond their capability then they will transfer the patient to a bigger and advanced hospital at the nearest city. Months before the due date, pregnant woman go to her parents or his parents home for the delivery of the baby. It is the cultural rule. After the arrival of the baby, at least for 3 months mother and baby stay there surrounded by the adult help and care. It is all about the baby’s and mother’s wellbeing.

There are many traditional ways of taking care of the mother and the baby. There is a paste made out of herbs that is given to the baby with breast milk within the first few days. It is to take care of the baby’s digestive system.  There are foods that are given to the mother to take care of mothers healing as well as to improve immunity of the baby and the mother. There is a combination of herbs boiled in water for the first several baths of the mother. There are different herbal mixes to boil with water for the baby. After a warm bath, the mother gets a massage from her mother or another elderly woman. Mother’s belly gets a tight wrap with a cotton fabric to strengthen the back and belly muscles back to normality. All the massages take care of the left over placenta and anything and everything after a child’s birth.  Mother’s meals are always well balanced with natural components that are good for the health of the baby.  Breast feeding is a must. It is the dream of every mother. There are formula milk for the babies at the stores but that is only if needed.

Typically a working mother gets 3 months of fully paid time off and 3 months of half paid time. So mother can be with the baby full time. Even after the mother returns to work, other family members like grandmother, grand aunty volunteers to be with the baby with some help from others in the neighborhood. If the baby’s family lives far away from grandparents home, the grandparents will move in with them for a while.  Day care for very young children is not very popular in Sri Lanka. It is only available in large commercial cities.  Most women typically give up work for good at the end of the three months time off as they did not want to leave their babies. I was one of those mothers. I would not make up my mind to leave my baby, so I decided to let my principal know that. Then when she was barely 3 months old we left Sri Lanka for my husband’s higher studies. We visited Sri Lanka every few months at that time, to let the baby experience of being surrounded by relatives.   

4 comments:

  1. Venuri,
    I loved reading this post. I appreciate and admire the love of the family in Skri Lana where the family comes together to raise the baby and if the grandparents doesnt live close by they will move in order to take care of their grandchild. The children of Skri Lana are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy reading so much about Sri Lanka from you. Your experiences seems like it was positive, even with the c-section. How do you think your experience would have been different if your husband had been allowed in the labor room with you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Venuri,
    It is amazing to know that you had a positive expereince giving birth, mixed with negative emotions as well. However with the support of family on both sides; your husband and your parents you were able to have a satisfying
    caesarian experience. I am happy to know that your support team had the opportunity to share in the moment of welcoming your daughter into the world even though they were not allowed in the delivery room. I know you felt their presence while they await the good news.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Venuri,

    I really enjoyed reading this post. Your pictures are beautiful and your posting was not only interesting but extremely informational. I especially like how you commented how it was not about praying for what you wanted but it was more about keeping your mind calm and peaceful as a good way to keep stress levels to a low. I also found the information about having children out of wedlock very interesting especially since this is something we see more common on our society.

    ReplyDelete