Saturday, February 11, 2012

Start Seeing Diversity Blog: "We Don't Say Those Words in Class!"
Young children are meaning makers – perpetually learning from their environment.

  • A time when you witnessed an adult reprimand or silence a child after he or she pointed out someone they saw as different. Include what the child said and what the adult did or said in response
This is a situation my friend/neighbor was faced with when her youngest daughter was only thee years old. This particular child is very vocal and never held her opinion. One day, at a high end fashion store, the child started walking towards a lady. Mom could not see the lady’s face but she thought child might have recognized the lady. Mom followed her anyways. The child walked up to the lady, looked at her for a moment and told her “You look like a clown”. The lady was speechless. So was the mom. The lady took a long/deep breath, looked at the child and had asked “why did you say that sweetie?”  The child looked at the lady and told her “too much makeup”. Mom apologized to the lady and asked the child to do the same and then told the child: “we need to have a talk”.
  • What messages might have been communicated to this child by the adult’s response
According to the mother, she gave her daughter a talk about the people being different and people making different choices. Mother said that she explained to the child that she should not talk to the strangers. Then mom talked to her about being respectful of others choices. Mother also told me that “I have to be aware of the fact that my child is only three years old and my talk has to be age appropriate”. By knowing the child, I am very sure that she understood that she had offended someone, and her mother is not appreciative of her choice of words.
  • An example of how an anti-bias educator might have responded to support the child’s understanding
For me personally, I would first appreciate the child’s ability to speak up her mind. Then have a discussion about seeing different people for who they are and respecting them for who they are. If the child is in my classroom, then it would be a classroom discussion about choice of words, respecting the diversity, and caring others. I believe that simple examples of diversity in the school environment would be helpful to get the idea across to a three year old. The picture books on the diversity topics would be a great starter point as well. In most scenarios, the children do not lie as adults do.


3 comments:

  1. Venuri,

    I enjoyed reading your blog. It is true children will not lie like adults do. Therefore, when the child told the woman she looked like a clown because she had on too much make-up is a perfect example of children not lying. Although, the child did not respect the woman decision or feeling, your choices about using picture books to introduce diversity in the environment would be an excellent way to help the child understand this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Venuri,

    It is amazing how children would express their observations and curiosity. I think the parent did the most obvious thing; showing respect. However, children in their process of observation create their own unique explanations about what they see based on the cognitive tools they possess at the stage of development(Sparks, & Edwards, 2010). As educators it is critical that we create a rich learning environment, (anti-bias free environment) which will set the stage for discussion and open-ended questions to help children understand differences, and similarities in others.

    References

    Sparks, L. D., & Edwards, J. L. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves.
    National Association for the Education of the Young Child.
    Library of Congress, Washington D.C. 20005-4101

    ReplyDelete
  3. Venuri,

    I have grown to understand that children say exactly what they feel. They speak their minds without thinking of the consequences and effects that it could have on a person. I had a similar incident happen to me when I was out with my nephew. I was so embarrassed and I explained to him that we all look different from one another. I let him know that despite of our differences we are valued assets in today's society and can bring forth some many ideas. He seemed to understand what I was saying and apologized for his actions. It scares me as I will have to explain this to my own child so that she do not go around making judgment or saying mean things to others. Great post!

    ReplyDelete